vessel - i read the news today
This sculptural vessel is part of a larger body of work that uses newspaper to explore concepts of communication and censorship in my art-making practice. It is one of a series of medium sized ceramic-based vessels that reinterpret traditional basketry with repurposed everyday materials.
Cordage made from newspaper is used in the construction of the basket-woven top. The use of newspaper explores themes of communication, censorship and politics as reported or omitted from the daily ‘news’, and is through the action of ‘making’, that takes time and care; transformed into a new structure that is cherished and valuable. Coloured cotton thread is used to stitch the coiled basket form, creating a tweed-like appearance.
Top Left - 44th camden art prize 2019. camden civic centre, camden NSW
- northbridge art prize 2019. gallery307 art school, north bridge NSW
- 10th green way art prize 2019. cooks river small sculpture. art est. gallery, leichhardt NSW
- seaview gallery, dulwich hill NSW
- bankstown art centre, bankstown NSW
- 'she dreams in colour...' solo exhibition 2021. timeless textiles gallery, newcastle, NSW
ceramic, newspaper, 4ply cotton
ceramic and newspaper coiled vessel.
14cm (h) 23cm (w) 24cm (d)
Top Right - bowral art prize 2020. bowral art gallery, bowral NSW
- [not a] basketcase, gallery 76queen st, concord west NSW
Below Right - 'she dreams in colour...' solo exhibition 2021. timeless textiles gallery, newcastle, NSW